Oratory of Santa Anna

Oratory of Santa Anna

The Oratory of Santa Anna is situated just outside of Alcudia across the street from the ruin of Pollentia. It is an old route which is nowadays known as the “cemetery road” and it is around 500 meters from the town’s historical centre. The Oratory of Santa Anna is well-preserved small chapel from early Middle Ages. The Oratory of Santa Anna dates back to the middle of the 13th century and it is the oldest still functioning religious property in all of Mallorca island.
In 1229, when the Catalan conquerers arrived in Mallorca, they decided to built not only the Catedral in Palma, but also a number of smaller oratory chapels throughout the island. The Oratory of Santa Anna was constructed in the 13th century, possibly by the architect Diego Español, but this is not certain. The Oratory of Santa Anna was built of stones and remains from the ruins of Roman capital, Pollentia. The Oratory of Santa Anna is built in the Gothic style, as can be seen from the three pointed arches carrying the simple roof construction.
The Oratory Santa Anna is open only in the mornings (9:30-10:00 during the service). Chapel was declared a BIC, a Site of Cultural Interest, in 2004.