La Lonja de Palma de Mallorca or Sa Llotja is one of the masterpieces of Gothic architecture in Mallorca. It was built by Guillem Sagrera between 1420 and 1452 and was the headquarters of the Merchants’ College.
The interior of this market consists of four naves of the same height separated by six helical columns without capital, which were then imitated in the market of Valencia, the church of Santiago de Villena and the base of the towers of San Giorgio del Castel Nuovo of Naples, also by Guillem Sagrera, although all of them were inspired by the chapterhouse of the Convent of Santo Domingo de Valencia, built in the first half of the 14th century. The nerves of the arches are directly embedded in the walls, as in the chapter house of the Cathedral of Palma de Mallorca and the great hall of the Castel Nuovo in Naples, by the same author. The keys of the vault bear shields of Corona de Aragón in the central ship and the shield of the city of Mallorca in the lateral ones, all with the original polychrome and gold. On the side facade there are four large windows. On each side of the main portal and on the opposite façade there are two bay windows with a ribbed vault. In each corner, in a chamfer there is a small door with an ogee arch, decorated with the image of each one of the evangelists. Of these doors, only those on the sea side, a spiral staircase to climb the terrace. It was the seat of government in the fifteenth century.
The main entrance from the square which is named the same, the Guardian Angel, the merchants patron saint, presides over the access to La Lonja.